Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

Bouquet Update

I finally, after a huge amount of trial and error, am really happy with the direction the fabric flower bouquets are going in. To read about my early attempts and for a couple of tutorials, click here.

I found this insanely gorgeous and lustrous slubbed ivory satin at Hobby Lobby. It's $9.99/yard, but with my handy 40% coupon, not prohibitively expensive in the least. Here's a bouquet made up almost entirely of that material:





Here's a back end view...I found this bouquet holder at Michael's, but they have them at Hob Lob as well. They're under $3, and it really helps give the flowers structure and support. Fabric is heavier than you'd think, especially when perched atop a wire wrapped in green stuff!


I've sewn the flowers to green floral stems and then doubled-up the stems, because I don't need a 2 foot long handle.

I was thinking about doing a video tutorial of how I make these flowers, because I just discovered the video button on my camera and I had such a hard time figuring this out myself. Would anyone be interested?

I plan on sprinkling vintage rhinestone pins throughout the bouquet for added interest, and I've been looking for sprigs of pearls to stick among the flowers. Also, I need to figure out how to hide that ugly bouquet holder thing! I'm thinking feathers. The handle will be wrapped in ribbon.

I sew flowers every night (seriously, every night I get home, couch out, and sew at least 6 flowers), and I've sewn so many that just haven't worked out for various reasons, so I am relieved and thrilled that it's turning out the way I wanted it to!

Did you have any projects that took longer than you'd thought to match up with the vision you had in your head?

12 comments:

  1. wow that is beautiful! I've never seen anything like this...I wish I was getting married again so I could barrow this idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so unique and pretty! I would be interested in a video tutorial.

    I agree, the white holder isn't so flattering. Maybe you could glue flowers around the top to hide it a little?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! I like the feathers idea... like layered on it like a roof (you know, how they're layered?) with feather stems pointing down, so they're covered by the ribbon. OMG. I wish I could hang out with you and help!
    -kjpugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks sooo good!!!! I like buhdoop's idea of putting flowers on the white holder thing. Maybe make the bouquet more of a ball shape? Lol I'm not creative at all so I'll just stop with that. I really really love it though. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a unique idea! The flowers look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A video tutorial would be great - those are gorgeous, and I could totally see myself making some for a number of situations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow its really coming together nicely! It's nice to see its progression from the first few sample ones you made! I like the feathers idea too. Our invitations are taking longer than I thought they would to design so that they look like I imagined them. Oh well, good things come to those who wait! Look at your bouquet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's come so far! the white satin looks so rich and elegant, well done! Are you keeping it monochromatic? if so i think white feathers would be a beautiful way to cover the holder, or you could try to fashion "leaves" of some sort in the ring around the bottom to poke out and support the flowers. how exciting?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow girl you are a DIY genius! They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! Are you planning on making yours white or a color?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so impressed with your bouquet!! It is beautiful!! I love the feathers idea, and I think that you should have feathers in your hair too! Hehe. Or, maybe you could just wrap the white cone in some pretty material, if you didn't want to make more flowers...and so it doesn't look so blah. But you're doing great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been so busy and am just catching up on your blog today! You are a star for being able to do this...I have no patience or skill set to be able to create something like this. So great! Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you all makes my day!