Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Stress

I found out last Monday that I was going to be laid off, sans pay this week. I'm supposed to go back Monday, January 4th, but I don't know if I'll be told to go home or if I can work. I didn't do anything wrong, December is just a tough month financially for the company I work with and they decided to lay people off (I'm not the only person not working this week). I'll go into details later, but I'm hoping I can find a job in St. Louis, STAT. I'm using this week with no work to be as productive in finding another job as possible.

I met with my professor from school yesterday, and he gave me some tips. He's going to make some phone calls as well. I'm dropping off resumes in person in St. Louis all day today and tomorrow, and I signed up for some jobs on a freelance writing website-I already got one bite in less than 24 hours! (Don't worry, it's a legit industry website and not a scam).

Anyway, I just feel so anxious and sad. Being laid off the week of Christmas truly came from left field, and I feel like the rug has been jerked out from underneath me. I have to have full time work, and it's looking like that's going to be in St. Louis. But every time I think about moving out of the house I share with my sister and my dog, I want to cry. Because as much as I miss Ryan, my whole family is here, and moving is going to be hard.

I'm trying to look at this as a good thing. If I can get a job in St. Louis, I can be with Ryan every day, which will obviously be wonderful. My family will only be 2 hours away, and they come up to St. Louis all the time. My job wasn't really going anywhere, and there are way more opportunities in St. Louis than my po-dunk small town. The support that Ryan and my family has offered me is astronomical, and I'm so thankful for it.

Anyway, hopefully I'll have time to blog for the rest of the week. If not, I'll be in a job searching frenzy! 2009 has really kept me guessing!

17 comments:

  1. Oh no :( So sorry to hear about this. I am also looking for a job at the moment; I understand how stressful and aggravating it can be! I hope you find something fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry to hear that - our company fired people (not just laid off) the week of Thanksgiving and I thought it was so rude. Why don't higher up's get it and wait until after a holiday!? Hopefully, despite leaving your family, this is a blessing in disguise for you and Ryan to be together and more opportunities to come your way in St. Louis! At least the fam is only 2 hours away - both of our's are 8 hours. I'll be keeping you in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the news...but maybe it is a blessing in disguise. You will be able to be with Ryan! And who knows what amazing opportunity might be waiting for you in St. Louis! What a blessing to have such great support from Ryan and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm certainly keeping my fingers crossed in good luck for you finding something soon! I know you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about this! Though it sounds like this may be a positive thing if you land a job in St. Louis and get to be with your fiance. It sounds like you are staying positive, and that is the important thing at a time like this. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Mateya, try to look at this as a blessing in disguise. You might find the perfect job in St. Louis so you can be with Ryan. Last Christmas I went to visit my friend in NYC, the day I got there I found out she had just been laid off her job. It took her 6 months to find that job. I ended up helping her move out of her apartment and back down to Florida. It was heartbreaking for her to lose her job and her apartment a week before Christmas, but everything worked out for the best. She came back to FL, saved money, and is back up there in NYC with her boyfriend with a very good and stable job (and in a much fancier apartment). So, yes... being laid off is a major bummer but it can also turn into something amazing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry! I hope you find another job right away!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m so sorry. I truly hope another opportunity presents itself ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending you lots and lots of luck! luck luck luck luck luck! I agree with the above commenters, it is definitely a blessing in disguise. You will be starting the new year fresh and ready for your life ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you the best. I had a similar issue back in July, but my employer was nice enough to give us all 3 months notice. I was able to find another job and start two weeks after I was done at the old job. Don't hesitate on applying for unemployment!

    Wishing you the best possible 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry to hear that! I also wish you luck and hope 2010 will offer you a fresh start and success in finding a new job :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so horrible! I'm so sorry. Don't worry about anything, everything will work out! There is no need for extra stress!! Good Luck in finding a job! My ryan and I are moving two hours away from both of our families a year after we get married, and it is so hard. But, two hours isn't so bad... and it will all be worth it when I get to cuddle up to my sweetie every night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear about this friend! i have been out of the blogging loop these last few weeks and only came across your post now! I too will be thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way! I hope 2010 starts of on a super note and leaves 2009 in the dust!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear this :( What a terrible thing to have to go through right before Christmas. Just know that everything will work out in the end. My best advice is to sign up with a temp agency. It's not ideal and you'll probably get a mind-numbing, stab-your-eyes-out job, but it's money. And while you're there you can still look for other jobs. Good luck with everything, hun :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh, so sorry to read about this. But I am so glad that you are looking at the potential positive aspects of a change like this. I couldn't imagine being laid off right at the end of the year...so scary. But hopefully you'll find something much better soon and it sounds like you have some support and help to get you going in the right direction - well wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry to hear this, hopefully you will find something better soon and it will turn into a good thing. Things happen for a reason, sometimes we just don't know what the reason is. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feel ya girl :( Chat me anytime, k?

    -kjpugs

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you all makes my day!