Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Garters

The garter toss. Ryan has something "hilarious" planned, but he won't tell me what it is....I'm just going to have to trust that it isn't something horribly embarrassing.


**Studly runner, if you want to be surprised when it comes to the garter, please stop reading now**



I know that lots of people are discontinuing this tradition, but I don't have a problem with it. I'm a runner, I have spent lots of time working on my legs, so I'm not afraid to show those off by any means! Also, Ryan has this running team with some of friends called Omega Falcon and their colors are blue and orange, and since all of those guys will be at the wedding, I thought it'd be fun to do the garter in the theme of Omega Falcon running.

I found this on Etsy and it is so gorgeous.



It's $30, which considering the high quality vintage materials the seller uses, is perfectly reasonable. I'm definitely going to attempt to DIY this though. It's high time I learned how to work with elastic anyway!

I really love the dotted swiss tulle used in that garter, but I'm worried that such a girly, pretty, fabric will look silly with royal blue and orange accents. What do you all think? I'm having a hard time picturing how such a feminine material will look with such sporty, masculine colors.

I'm thinking that this how-to will work nicely, or even this one, I'm just undecided in terms of materials.

So what do you all think? Can I use the frilly delicate material I like with such a sporty theme? What are you doing for your garter, if you're doing one?

3 comments:

  1. REALLY love that inspiration picture. What if you used more a more muted blue and orange? I wonder if it will be hard to find that dotted swiss tulle. Because maybe you could do a light orange tulle and with a blue ribbon? I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its doable! I've seen other garters on various blogs that are sport themed and frilly. I like the tutorial you posted. Seems likes they aren't that complicated to make

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty garter! I'm not a garter fan myself, but I think there's a way you could do something pretty and sporty.

    We're not doing a garter or bouquet toss - just not into it!

    You'll have to post pics of your DIY project when you get to it!

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you all makes my day!