Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Finally!

I have made countless duds of whole wheat pizza crust recipes, but this my friends, this is a recipe to hang on to, to memorize, to make regularly!

This recipe is so handy because you can make it ahead of time and throw it in the freezer for later. So if I wanted pizza for dinner, I could take the dough out of the freezer in the morning before work and pop it in the fridge, and come home to pizza dough ready for the oven. Ingenious! I love home made pizza, but I don't have time to wait for yeast to rise when it's late and I'm starving. Another handy thing about this recipe is that it makes enough for 2 large pizzas or for 8 individual pizzas, so by making the recipe once you have a whole other pizza to save for later. Love it. Here's the recipe by the way, it's over at Martha Stewart's Every Foods.



Can I just say that when I read the recipe to make sure I had everything I needed, I saw "2 packets yeast" and ignored the "1 ounce each" part. All of the yeast packets I've ever bought are 1/4 of an ounce. I discovered this after the grocery store run, unfortunately, so I dumped every yeast packet in the house I had into this recipe. And by every yeast packet, I mean there was instant yeast and rapid rise yeast and just plain yeast...it was a miracle this dough rose at all.

I topped the pizza with lots of tomato sauce, mozzarella, and mushrooms. 25 minutes later, this popped out of the oven....






Henry really, really wanted some pizza too.



Awww, how can I resist that face?

Anyway, this is the best whole wheat pizza crust recipe I have tried, and trust me, I have tried a few in my time! I think what makes it so successful is the amount of yeast in there, because there is a lot, and the amount of olive oil-1/4 cup. I've got an extra ball of dough in the freezer, and I guarantee you it will get eaten this week. Without a doubt, so good!

What have you cooked lately? What are your favorite always-have-on-hand recipes?

6 comments:

  1. So funny, I made my first ever pizza crust two days ago. It didn't come out as good as this one, still edible though. I need to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much food in this house I think we could feed an army at the drop of a hat! Pizza looks great! Mushrooms is my fave topping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Henry is SO cute! What a sweet face. And that pizza looks yum. Might have to make that soon. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you all makes my day!