Pages

Saturday, December 12, 2009

I just finished reading....

Prayers for Sale, by Sandra Dallas.



It was...so so. Very predictable, and too nauseatingly sweet for me. That said, I am a sucker for a happy ending, and the story was set in a place I haven't read too much about. This story takes place in 1936, when a young bride moves to a mining town in the mountains of Colorado. She meets an older woman who becomes a close friend who relates stories of her past to her.

I also got about 1/3 of the way through That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo. He wrote Empire Falls, which I loved. Unfortunately, I stopped reading this newer book of his because the main character is such a freaking *ss and I didn't want to hear any more about him.



I just couldn't stand to read more about him he was so awful.

I also finished Admission by Jean Hanff Korelitz.



I read this all weekend. I spent 3 hours on the couch Saturday afternoon absorbed in this. I haven't done that in forever, it was amazing. This book was fantastic. It's all about a Princeton admission's officer and a brilliant kid from a non-traditional school trying to get into to Princeton. The storyline has a great hidden undertone that you find out about later in the book, and I loved the ending. I definitely recommend this book, and it's on my "read again" list.

Also, I usually link the books I mention from Amazon or Barnes and Noble, but I'm trying to shop small/independent businesses more, hence these books being linked from Powell's Books. They sell new and used, and I love buying used books!

What are you reading right now?

2 comments:

  1. I need to check out Admissions. I plan on reading love in the time of cholera soon. Now that the semester is coming to a close I should be able to read Pride and Prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to have time to read again...

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you all makes my day!