Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Mileage

So I'm at work, finishing up the San Antonio, Texas script (if anyone watches the January 3 D'Ann Harper real estate show, I wrote it! I like to have something to listen to while I write easy scripts like this) and I'm listening to "Spirit of the Marathon" on Hulu. You can watch the movie for free here. The movie profile about 5-6 different marathoners of all abilities...a 70 year old guy who runs 12 minute miles and some of the top marathoners in the world.


Deena Kastor, a beyond amazing female marathoner (she won the bronze for the marathon at Athens) is profiled, and she gets injured while training for the Chicago marathon. She mentions "it's amazing to me that I can run 140 miles a week for 8 or 9 years and not get injured but I can roll over a pine cone in the back yard and be out for 2 months" (not word for word, but you get the idea). 140 miles. I cannot comprehend that number, you all! That's an average of 20 miles a week. That's almost a marathon every day for 8 or 9 years. Is she a robot? Does she have cartilage inserted in her knees weekly? That kind of mileage is brutal on your body. Seriously, I whine about 20 miles a week? That level of fitness is just beyond amazing to me, just had to share!

Happy Holidays everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I saw a little mention of running in your most recent post, so had to see what that was all about. The Groomie runs marathons and is training for the Comrades Ultra Marathon in May at the moment.

    All I do is a 12km charity run once a year. Good on you for getting involved, I really should too!

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you all makes my day!