Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Running Update

So I started training for a half marathon, and so far so good! Sunday I ran 8, the first 4 with Ryan. We ran to his friend's house who I swear looks just like this:


This is him, minus the beard and long hair. Ryan and I saw this in an antique story and I was like, "Oh my gosh, it's Chris!"

We picked his friend up, and I ran with those 2 for a 1/2 mile, and then I had another 3.5 miles to do by myself. Normally when I'm visiting Ryan in St. Charles, he runs with me or I pay $7 to cross train at the rec center, but since my long runs fall on Sundays and I'm typically in St. Charles on Sundays, it is high time that I be able to run by myself when I'm up there. So Ryan plotted out a super simple route in familiar territory that I ran while he finished up his run with his friend. It was hilly, but I ended up running 7.8 miles at an 8:30ish pace, which I was very happy with. After long runs like that my knees tend to hurt, and they did this time too, but nothing major. My feet also ached, but I think it's just because my shoes are about done (you can only get about 300 miles out of running shoes, which isn't much when you train a lot....you should've seen how many shoes Ryan went through when he was training for Boston!). I am getting a new pair for Christmas, so no worries!



So the first long run was a success! Even after running for a year or so now, it still amazes me when I see my watch pass an hour...I am still shocked that I can run for that long.

I will say, that hauling my butt out of bed at 5:44 a.m. (I only wake up on even numbers) when it's dark and cold out to get a run in is tough. It means that I am in bed by 9 p.m.!

Are you aiming for any fitness goals right now?

4 comments:

  1. Way to go! I recently got into running, too, but think I still have a long way to go before I can complete a half marathon. I wrote about my goals a couple weeks ago: http://bicoastalbrideblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/bridal-shapeup.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. so impressive, i grew up a competitive swimmer and like to joke that i don't do land sports - my way of saying i hate to run! the idea of running for an hour straight terrifies me, which in turn means you are AMAZING! well done lady! you'll be in Boston in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great!

    I just want to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Nothing in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so lazy, I don't even like to walk anywhere let alone run!

    Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you all makes my day!