Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Zucchini Bread

Zucchini is in season, and zucchini bread is a great way to use it up! 2 slices of this bread with a smidge of butter and a big glass of milk is one of my favorites breakfasts.

The recipe is from a Catholic Church cookbook. My MeeMaw attended the church in Leopold, MO, when she was little.


Zucchini Bread


2 cups grated zucchini

3 eggs

1 cup oil

1 1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

3 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup chopped nuts




Beat the eggs. Add the oil, vanilla and sugar; mix well. Sift together flour and soda; stir into egg mixture. Add the zucchini and nuts. Mix well and pour into 13x9 inch oiled pan or 2 oiled loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.





Oh yum!



This recipe makes 2 loaves, by the way-one for you and one for a friend! I made this last week and brought a loaf up to Ryan's mom. Zucchini in bread used to weird me out, but it makes the bread really moist and delicious.


I did make some variations to make this recipe a little healthier. I only used 1/2 cup of oil and I used 1/2 cup of applesauce. This made the finished product more crumbly than it normally is, but oh well! That doesn't really bother me. I also used half whole wheat flour and half white flour, and this hardly made a difference at all. It tasted just a touch nuttier. I always use pecans in this recipe, but I'm lucky--my Aunt Mary lives on my Meemaw's old farm and lets me and my mom pick up all the pecans we want every fall.


What have you made lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you all makes my day!