Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Stuffed Portobello Mushroom

Last week I made Cheese-&-Spinach Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms, and they turned out so well! I am definitely adding them to my repertoire of meals. I found the recipe at Eatingwell.com, which has lots of other recipes that are on my list to try.

Cheese-&-Spinach Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

4 large portobello mushroom caps
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup finely chopped fresh spinach
1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
2 tablespoons finely chopped kalamata olives
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
3/4 cup prepared marinara sauce


1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.

2. Place mushroom caps, gill-side up, on the prepared pan. Sprinkle with salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Roast until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, mash ricotta, spinach, 1/4 cup Parmesan, olives, Italian seasoning and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Place marinara sauce in a small bowl, cover and microwave on High until hot, 30 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes.

4. When the mushrooms are tender, carefully pour out any liquid accumulated in the caps. Return the caps to the pan gill-side up. Spread 1 tablespoon marinara into each cap; cover the remaining sauce to keep warm. Mound a generous 1/3 cup ricotta filling into each cap and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Bake until hot, about 10 minutes. Serve with the remaining marinara sauce.



Doesn't it look yummy? I am happy I finally remembered to take a picture of something I cooked!




I am not a mushroom fan, and I thought this was delicious. First of all, I googled "how to clean mushrooms," because having never cooked with them, I had no idea. Some recipes mentioned cutting the gills out, which I was tempted to do, but didn't. It seemd like the whole purpose behind cutting the gills out was to cut down on the amount of gray juice, but that happens when you cook the mushrooms on their own in the first part of this recipe. I did make some changes to the recipe. I only used 2 mushroom caps, as it was just Ryan and I, and I made some pasta and garlic bread to go with it. I also steamed some snow peas that I had just gotten at the farmer's market, but those were in a separate dish. I really just eyeballed the amounts here. I wanted the mushrooms to be really full, so I used about the full cup of ricotta. Ryan and I use the part-skim kind, so I didn't feel guilty about it. I didn't put any parmesan into the dish, and I skipped the olives. I also used lots of marinara sauce, because I love it. I think I put at least 3-4 tablespoons on one mushroom cap alone. I used double the spinach, too. I am really happy with how it turned out, and probably will stick with the changes I made. This seems to me to be a very adaptable recipe.



I chopped off a chunk of my finger when I was chopping the spinach for these, and I was cooking at Ryan's while he was helping out at cross country camp. I couldn't find a band aid, so I had to tape a paper towel to my copiously bleeding finger. I had to wear lots of band-aids for the next week or so, because it was on the side of my finger, which is not fun to cover with a band-aid.

What have you cooked lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you all makes my day!