Pages

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The DIY Wedding: Celebrate Your Day Your Way

I picked up The DIY Wedding: Celebrate Your Day Your Way from Amazon, and I am glad I did. It was a quick read, and it had some really good points. For example, the book recommends that you pick 2-3 things that are important to you and spend your money on those items. For Ryan and I, this means having everyone we love there, attire (I want the perfect dress, and we want to buy him a really nice suit) and great photography. The majority of our money will be going to these things, and we will not be spending money on favors or lush floral centerpieces.

Source

There are "Advice from Real Couples" sections dispersed throughout the book, and every chapter ends with a pep talk. In the chapter on invitations, the author divides it into "3 levels of DIY difficulty," which I very much appreciate. There are also how-to's throughout the book, including making cluster earrings for the bridesmaids, a hand-tied bouquet, and how to embellish a shoe, among others.

I think what I appreciate most about this book is the down-to-earth vibe it gives off. It is a fabulous reality check from the world of Platinum Weddings and Brides magazine, and a reality check that I certainly need. It helps to remind myself that the down-to-earth, no fuss wedding truly is the norm, and that I will not be a colossal failure if I don't have an invitation suite with 17.5 pieces, 6-foot tall orchid centerpieces, and taffeta pintuck linens. Though the linens would be nice.

Kelly Bare, the author, has also penned The F Word, another book relating the wedding planning experience, but I haven't read it. I will be putting it on my to-read list.

What wedding books have you picked up? Were they (un)helpful? Any I should be reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you all makes my day!