Pages

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I just finished reading...


It was really good. The author is a journalist, so you can pick up on that from her writing style. The gist of the book is the author's search to find a person that she knew during her time at Beijing University during the Cultural Revolution that she denounced to the authorities. It's the author's first time in China in years, so she talks quite a bit about the dramatic changes the country is experiencing. This book really covered a wide range of topics--Beijing's bid for the 2008 Olympics, the Cultural Revolution, Communist China then and now, her kids' reaction to China, migrant workers, the environment...it was an incredibly educational read! I would certainly recommend it to anyway interested in learning about China today, and I think I might check out some of her other books. She's very honest and forthright in this book, and I like that. A very good read overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you all makes my day!