Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2009

God Bless the Broken Road

I never, ever pictured myself getting married.

I was not the little girl who acted out her wedding. I do remember pretending that I was a priest (?? Must be from all of those hours spent in mass during Catholic school) and Laura Ingalls Wilder, but never a bride.

I never even dated very much. I think I had 2 guys I was "official" with in high school, for a few months per relationship, nothing big. (Oh and they were winners...yeah not really).

In college, I had a ton of guy friends (go Lambda Chi!), but not a boyfriend in sight. I came away from those college years with some great, great friends....but no romantic relationship to speak of.

Before I met Ryan, I was tired of the whole dating situation. I was done with the bar scene, and the town I live in is not big, so there aren't lots of opportunities to meet new people. My best friend and I were not getting along, and I was spending more time with my family and doing what made me happy.

Needless to say, when I met Ryan, I was not expecting anything. I thought he was cute, added him as a friend on Facebook, and proceeded to become great friends with him over about a 6 month period. I quit talking to my best friend altogether (trust me, it was a good thing), and Ryan stepped up and took that place in my life. In April, he went away for spring break, and I missed him. I was talking to my parent's pastor when he mentioned that I had brought up Ryan's name about 5 times in the last 30 minutes. He told me to really re-evaluate how I felt about him. I took a long country drive by myself that day, and lo and behold, realized much I wanted to be with this man.

Ryan took me totally off guard. It wasn't long before Ryan (also a loner in terms of relationships) and I were talking marriage, so I've had a while to get used to the idea. I am thrilled to be his wife and his partner in life. I am still in a state of awe about the whole situation. "This man loves...me? He wants to be with me? He wants to spend the rest of his life with me? I make him happy? I got this unbelievably lucky?" I think that every day!

I hope I always have that sense of awe and wonder that I am with him. I think it makes me cherish him and appreciate him that much more.

How do you feel about getting married? Did you ever see yourself going down that path in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you all makes my day!