Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Project-less

The bouquets are done (except for mine, but once I get the feathers in, that's a 10 minute deal), the handkerchiefs are done, the corsages are done, the bags for the bridesmaids are done....all I really have left to do on the DIY front is the table overlays for the reception and adding ribbon to the cardbox (and um, post that stuff that I haven't yet...my camera broke so now I have to harass Alli, so taking pictures is a slower process). Neither challenging or time intensive, as they mainly employ copious amounts of glue.


This should be great news! I have a pattern for a dress I want to make for my sister Alli, and I have a stack of things I want to make apparel-wise for myself, such as this obi-style skirt. But sewing clothes scares the crap out of me, as I fear messing up...even though I know with sewing that messing up in inevitable. It will happen, it's simply a matter of when and how badly. That's why I love doing a mock-up first out of fabric that doesn't cost lots. So I need to give myself a serious pep talk and get to it.

Honestly, making all of the things that I've made for this wedding has been so much more satisfying then I thought possible. Seeing something outrageously expensive or beautiful that I love and then recreating it myself, sans directions in many cases, feels so good! Knowing that so many personal touches are headed in the direction of people I care very much about makes me happy. And I am really proud of myself for doing all that I've done DIY wise, because it turns out that I really enjoy it and the stuff I've done has turned out better than I could have hoped. Who knew, right?

But I'm a bit sad that I'm out of projects at the moment. I think I need to put my big-girl pants on and stop being a pansy about the scary sewing patterns.

Are you done with your projects, or are you just beginning? Were you slightly sad that they were over?

8 comments:

  1. We’re still working on our paper projects (programs, place cards, etc.), but most of the big ones are over. I’m not sad though. I’m just excited to use them on our wedding day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for making it through most of your projects! I know what you mean about an intimidating craft project - I feel that way every time I set out to use my Gocco. It still scares me, and I still have some mess-ups along the way, but when it turns out well, I'm so so so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd let you help with some of my projects!! I have so many that I've started and need to finish, it's almost overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see it all! I'm sure you can handle the sewing patterns just fine! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see everything! Sewing isn't too bad. Once you get the hang of it you will be hooked!

    I am never out of wedding DIY projects b/c I keep finding projects to add to my list. I have to stop doing that very soon! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I have one or two projects left (that is if I decide to do them).

    That has to be a good feeling to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so organised DIY Queen! Can't wait to see all the pictures. I'm sure you'll be able to whip that dress up no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - and your wedding is in July! Mine is next month and I don't have nearly this much done and so much left to do. Interested in working on other DIY projects? HA!

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you all makes my day!