Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I just finished reading.....

Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man, by Fannie Flagg.


I love Fannie Flagg when I need a pick me up, don't you? And her characters are so wonderful - they stick with you. This book is about a rambunctious 10 year old named Daisy Fay with a fun-loving alcoholic daddy and a prim and proper mother who gets herself in to sooo much trouble. The ending is perfect and this book is such a great feel good book, read it if you need to be cheered up.

Also just finished The Cherished Wives by Valerie Anand last night.


If you dig historical fiction, read this book. It was so good....and oh how I am glad to live now, where I have rights as a woman. This book follows several generations of Whitmead women who always seem to be limited by the power hungry men in their lives. The first Whitmead woman you meet, Lucy Ann, has to deal with a controlling husband who leaves her for years at a time while he's in India, blames a miscarriage on her and refuses to let her interact with people that he has not pre-screened and approved. You also meet Lucy Ann's daughter in law, Emma, and Emma's daughters, and they all have to deal with the crazy isolation that Lucy Ann did. I am definitely going to look into more of Ms. Anand's books, this was wonderful. The ending was absolutely chilling.

What are you reading right now?

3 comments:

  1. Yay for booklovers! I am reading old school "The Picture of Dorian Gray" lol

    PS I am enjoying following your blog and would love if you could follow mine too. I am a brand new blogger.
    http://weddingcrashersguide.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, both of these look great! I'll have to check them out. I have embarassingly been re-reading some Star Wars novels (I am a geek! I admit it!) and am now reading a book about the history of Maine, since that's where we're going on our honeymoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished Young Wives Tales . . . an okay read, but I was expecting more out of it, so I was a little disappointed. Working on a post about it soon(ish)!

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you all makes my day!