Pages

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Milk Glass Update

We are less than 10 vases away to having all of the milk glass we need for the wedding! And we still have months and months to gradually pick them up.

Ryan's mom and his best friend and his best friend's wife were kind enough to think of us when they were out thrifting last weekend, and they each picked us up a piece. Ryan and I swung by a Salvation Army Saturday afternoon and picked up 5 pieces....for $1.25. That is $0.25 a piece. I am positively delighted with the fact that we are doing this, because this enables us to spend next to nothing on our centerpieces (I'm thinking it's going to be way under $10 per centerpiece).


We have found though, after the centerpiece mock-up we did a few weekends ago, that some of the vases have really narrow necks and might not work. But, for the price we're paying for them, we can easily pick up a couple extra. The vases that are too narrow for centerpieces can be used in other places, and we're thinking of filling them with carnations or with red fabric flowers.


Did you start a project only to find out later that changes needed to be made? Have any of your wedding projects made your thrifty heart sing with joy?



Also, I need to figure out what we're going to do with all of this milk glass after the wedding! I know we'll keep a couple of our favorite pieces, but there's no way we need 40 vases. Any suggestions?

6 comments:

  1. OMG I am in love and kind of want to steal them.

    I think you should sell them post-wedding! worst case you cut even, best case you make a buck, either way you help another bride!

    If I find any near me want me to pick them up for you? Then we'll HAVE to hang out :)

    -Miss Pug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely post them up for sale! That's what I'm going to try to spend this next weekend doing - figuring out what to keep and use in the house...and what to list on ebay, weddingbee, or my own blog as items for sale.

    They look great - and SUCH great prices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could raffle them off in some sort of way to wedding guests - I for one know i would be thrilled to take one home with me from the party, and I think i might enjoy the idea of someone I love giving them a new home.

    I'm collecting vintage water pitchers for our centerpieces and had to do a little post mock up tweaking. At first i loved the idea of a hodge podge, I found some cut glass in a variety of colors, some pewter or silver. After the trial I realized the opaque ones worked much better for the look and the color scheme, but i think we will use the glass varieties on the bar etc rather than as the official center pieces. Seems a shame not to use them at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sis did not want to keep her centerpiece vases either. So one of her favors at the reception was a lottery ticket wrapped in a little envelope that said "Lucky in Love" with their names and date on it. The lottery tickets were left at each place setting. When the guests first sat down, the DJ informed them to check their lottery tickets - he told them that at each table, one lucky winner had a special heart shaped sticker on the back of their ticket. Whoever had the sticker on their envelope was asked to take the centerpiece home with them to keep the vase as a special thank you from the B&G. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to suggest the same thing. Make sure you have a few of your favs on your table, and then give the rest away to your guests. I'm sure they'll appreciate it and feel extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could use a few of the narrow-necked ones bunched together on one table, so that a few of the tables look different? Just a thought.

    You could always sell the vases on Weddingbee Classifieds or donate them to St. Anthony's Bridal (they have a St. Louis chapter).

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you all makes my day!