Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

2-Year Anniversary

So yesterday I celebrated 2 years of being a non-smoker...not 2 years with Ryan. That's in March.

But anyway, quitting smoking was the hardest freaking thing I have ever done, and as much as I enjoyed smoking (yes, it it enjoyable, don't ever try it to find out, just take my word for it), I will never, ever light up again because quitting was so hard. I took Chantix to quit, but I smoked so much (umm, a pack and a half a day...or more) that I had serious physical withdrawal symptoms. I was literally green in the face I was so nauseous for the first 48 hours. I worked in an ER at the time, and one of the docs ordered me the most potent anti-nausea meds they had...and they did not touch me. I have never felt so dreadful in my life.

Needless to say, I quit smoking 2 years and one day ago. I got the prescription for the Chantix in August of 2007, and I held on to it until October, when I started taking it and quit smoking. Oddly enough, 2 weeks after quitting smoking, I met Ryan at my little sister's state Cross Country meet. What runner (and a hardcore one at that) wants to date a heavy smoker?


Ryan "attacking" my little sister at state last year (don't worry, she's smiling!)....same place I met him. My attractive attire was due to the fact that it was so COLD!

So, I never knew 2 years ago today just how good quitting smoking was going to be for me. Yeah, I feel loads better and I'm not slowly killing myself with sweet sweet nicotine...but I met Ryan. I know for a fact he wouldn't have been attracted to me if I smoked. So quitting smoking was a huge, huge step in my path to my future husband.

Who knew, right? It's stuff like this that makes it impossible for me to believe that this was a coincidence.

By the way, I hope this doesn't offend any smokers. Ryan is a runner, and smoking does not fit in at all with his lifestyle. It's as simple as that.

Did you undertake any major life changes that led you to your future partner?

9 comments:

  1. Congrats! Thats an important anniversary! Mr. Milk was also a smoker and his 3 yr anniversary is coming up in Nov.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your BIG day! That's a HUGE accomplishment. I know, because B was a smoker when we met and he just quit in February. We celebrated his six month mark...so I'm sure that we'll mark his yearly anniversary too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great Stacy!!!! My mom used to smoke way pre-babies and told us all the time growing up how hard it was to quit. BRAVO! -Miss Pug

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SO wonderful. I moved back to my hometown and took a random temp job which led to the hubs. Best move I ever made!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great! Congrats to you.

    Side note, meant to commend you on putting up the White Knot page badge :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just had my 3 years in august. It's so rewarding and feels so great to be free of something that trapped me for so long. The liberating feeling is amazing... but i know its hard to get there. My FH still struggles with it. But i used Zyban - i knew i couldnt' do it alone. It was worth it... for sure. and now i don't smell bad :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!! That's a huge accomplishment and definitely something to be proud of!!

    I met my husband in law school, which was a pretty major life change! Funny how some things are just meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two years?!? Rad! Congrats! This December 31st will be one year for me, and I'm stoked! Here's to being healthier and smelling better! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on quitting! I've heard that it can be a huge choice but you definitely made the right one (and got a WAY better reward). I think its great how life totally works itself out that way. You just needed the little extra motivation (like meeting your hunny a few weeks later) to keep going!
    Congrats again :)

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you all makes my day!