Pages

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Weddings and Weightloss

I have been thinking about weddings and weightloss lately.

The day I switched my Facebook status from "In a Relationship" to "Engaged," the ads on my profile page totally changed. At all times, there is at least one weight-loss related ad, usually going something like this:

"Do you want to be a skinny bride? Lose those flabby arms for your wedding dress! Look like you've always wanted to on the day of your dreams!"

You get the picture.

Anyway, I was talking to Ryan about how I'd like to lose about 5 pounds before the wedding. I'm on the higher end of my ideal weight range, and I'd like to be in the shape of my life for the wedding. But it got me thinking today, about how I need to treat my body like a temple, especially in terms of what I eat. And then I thought, it's not all about me anymore. I need to keep myself healthy for Ryan too, because he's counting on me to be there in the long run. I'm not going to be if I shovel grease down my throat with abandon. This puts a whole new perspective on toning up and eating right for me. I need to be healthy not only for myself, but for Ryan too, just as he needs to take care of himself so that he can be there for me. Also, I've always wanted to be lighter and more toned anyway....but I keep putting it off. No day but today, right?


There is so much hype to lose weight specifically for your wedding day, but I am viewing it as a motivator for refining lifelong habits. I run and I try to eat well, but I could be doing much more strength training and I could certainly eat better than I do now.

What do you think? Is the wedding-day weight loss too hyped up? Have you fallen prey to it? How do you view your health and fitness?

Have you ever thought about health and fitness like this before?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you all makes my day!