Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Art of Greek Cookery

I picked up The Art of Greek Cookery at a random used book store in Ryan's hometown mall while he was getting his hair cut a weekend or so ago. The cookbook is published by the women of St. Paul's Greek Orthodox Church. I have found that the best cookbooks typically come from church women, so I knew this had to be good.



I found some great recipes I cannot wait to try. The braised eggplant looks good, as does the baked zucchini and the moussaka. I will definitely be attempting some of these recipes in the next few weeks, so we'll see how that works out! I love greek food, so hopefully I will end up with a new dish to add to my repertoire.



Ryan said the Caramel Custard sounded good. I read through the recipe and it looks hard. It involved carmelizing sugar and pouring it into a warmed pan. This sounds deceptively simple, but the recipe warns you: "don't let the sugar get too dark or it will become bitter." What's too dark, and what's too light? I am pretty sure that you have to add butter in order to carmelize sugar, but the recipe doesn't mention that. I do want to attempt it the next time I have an afternoon off.

I love ethnic food and I am excited to try some of these recipes.

I was surprised to find that there was no hummus recipe! Maybe it's not such a greek thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you all makes my day!