Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I just finished reading...

I'm a bit behind, so we'll go 3 for 1!

Portrait of a Marriage by Pearl S. Buck.



I really dig Pearl S. Buck, but this book sucked big time. It was terrible. It's all about this rich New York artist who marries a Pennsylvania farmer's daughter. Cliches about the "simple folk" abound endlessly and the artist is 100% worthless, he won't help her do anything and produces little income. I've decided that I only like Mrs. Buck's novels about Asia, the rest seem to be unfortunate.

The Saint of Lost Things
, by Christopher Castellani.



This was also pretty lame. It's about a young Italian woman who marries a guy who takes her back to America. They live with her in-laws and work all the time and then can't get pregnant, and her hubs is kind of an *ss. Though the ending was good, it wasn't worth all the nonsense in front of it, so I wouldn't recommend this book.

Girls of Riyadh, by Rajaa Alsanca.


OK this book was amazing. It starts out as a series of e-mails sent anonymously by a Saudi Arabian woman about her and her upper class friends and the dating scene in Saudi Arabia, where it is illegal to interact with the opposite sex for the most part. It was fantastic, I think I read it in under 24 hours. Dating and marriage are so much more complicated over there, and so different. Women will have boyfriends for years they only correspond with via phone or e-mail. Anyway I loved it, you should check it out!

What are you reading right now?

1 comment:

  1. In an effort to read more nonfiction, I'm reading The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. Pulitzer Prize winner! I'm very early into it, but I'm not bored, so that's definitely a good thing. I've even had a chuckle or two.

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you all makes my day!