Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2010

I just finished reading...

O Pioneers!, by Willa Cather.



Source

It was so good. I am a huge Willa Cather fan-she's like Little House on the Prarie for grown-ups. This was a pretty fast read, I think I did it in less than 24 hours. The book is wonderful and spans a hefty period of time. The book is all about a woman named Alexandra who inherits her father's farm. She goes on to be very successful, and you get to see the change of the land from unsettled prarie to prosperous farmland. Willa details the different groups that inhabit the area, such as Bohemian and French settlers, which is interesting-something you don't necessarily hear a lot about. Willa's books are wonderful snapshots of a period of time I love reading about. The ending isn't entirely happy, and a touch on the melodramatic side, but it sort of ends well.

What are you currently reading? Are you a Willa Cather or Laura Ingalls Wilder fan?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you all makes my day!