Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

I just finished reading....

The Life of Pi, by Yann Martel.



Love love LOVE, couldn't possibly say enough good things about this book. I first read this a couple years ago and I remember being incredibly bored by the amount of time he spent in the lifeboat, but that bit went by so much faster on this 2nd reading. The parts about religion I could read over and over, and I have a sermon on my MP3 player based off a reading from this book I love to listen to when I run. Anyway, this book is about young Piscine, known as Pi, the son of an Indian zookeeper. On the ocean voyage to his family's new home in Canada, the ship they are traveling on sinks, and Pi is thrust into a life boat with some of the zoo animals. It's a fabulous book, definitely in my top 5 favorite list.

Also Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster.



This is about an orphan girl named Judy who grew up in an orphanage called the John Grier Home. One of the trustee's notices her academic success and sends her to college. In exchange she is to write a letter a month detailing her life at school. You can't help buy love Judy and want to be her friend...she's so confiding and honest. You also get a great peek at the day-to-day life at college years ago. This is a super fast read and an old standby of mine, I think I read it at least once a year.

I have GOT to go to the library, that is happening tonight.

What are you reading right now?

4 comments:

  1. Loved Life of Pi! Loved!!! I just got done reading People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks . . I really enjoyed it. Currently looking for something new to read - I have a library card, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the book recommendations! I was just looking on amazon for some honeymoon reading, I think I'll check these out too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Life of Pi was a great read! Currently on my hold list at the library: Eating Animals, by Jonathan Safran Foer, The great bridge: the epic story of the building of the Brooklyn Bridge, by David McCullough, and House Rules, the new one by Jodi Picoult. (P.S. If you thought Food, Inc. was interesting, you should really check out Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser and The Onmivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. They both were really intriguing, and I found the latter to strike at quite a personal level.)

    Also . . . Is it wrong that I have my library card number memorized?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love "Daddy-Long-Legs"!! An old favorite. Have you read the sequel (of sorts) "Dear Enemy"? So good!

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you all makes my day!